(English) Vacancy Announcement
The Hanoi office of the BUNDESANSTALT FÜR GEOWISSENSCHAFTEN UND ROHSTOFFE (BGR) is looking for a:
Senior Groundwater Expert
– National personnel –
The post is located in the Vietnamese-German technical cooperation project “Improvement of Groundwater Protection in Vietnam”, currently running until June 2021. The project is part of the BMZ-funded development cooperation program on adaptation to climate change and resilient development of the Mekong Delta, implemented jointly with GIZ and KfW. The project contributes to the development of a coherent national policy on groundwater protection and the improvement of Groundwater management in the coastal regions of the Mekong Delta. Anchored under MONRE, the project’s implementing partner is the National Center for Water Resources Planning and Investigation (NAWAPI), and activities are coordinated closely with the Departments of Natural Resources and Environment (DONRE) in the project provinces.
• Lead studies and assessment on groundwater resources in the project areas, in particular with regard to groundwater potential, yield, recharge, quality and use; develop suitable methodologies and plan, advise and interpret hydrogeological investigations and surveys,
• Advise provincial and national partners in improving groundwater management (e.g. groundwater monitoring, licensing, water resource planning) and in the implementation of regulatory measures to protect groundwater,
• Lead and conduct investigations on groundwater extraction and land subsidence in the Mekong Delta
• Guide and support studies on groundwater extraction in the main use sectors (such as drinking/ domestic uses, agriculture) in consideration of current trends and development plans as well as identification of risks,
• Liaise with local, national and international partners; foster technical and institutional exchange and dialogue on groundwater-related aspects,
• Guide and supervise the compilation and visualization of project results and information, including management of geodata and creation of thematic maps,
• Write, lead and support compilation of technical reports, practical guidelines, recommendations and topic papers,
• Contribute to training and outreach activities,
• Supervise local staff and consultants as required.
• Completed university degree (master or equivalent) in hydrogeology, a geoscientific discipline or a comparable subject with a specialization in hydrogeology or geo-hydraulics; a PhD is considered an asset.
• At least 15 years of proven experience as advisor on groundwater management and groundwater protection to technical stakeholders and state management actors in Vietnam.
• Excellent knowledge of quantitative methods in hydrogeology / hydrology as well as hydrogeochemical methods and analysis.
• At least 20 years of experience in planning, implementation and interpretation of hydrogeological investigations and accompanying surveys (e.g. on usage aspects).
• Good knowledge of a wide suite of IT tools for water resources studies, including GIS, data processing, statistics and groundwater modelling.
• Proven scientific writing skills, with the added ability to communicate complex issues under an application- and action-oriented angle to national project partners.
• Excellent command of English (level B2) and Vietnamese (both spoken and written)
• Ability and willingness to integrate into a multi-cultural and interdisciplinary team
Duty station of this posting is Hanoi. The post requires frequent travel to the project areas in the Mekong Delta.
The post is limited-term, tied to the on-going project commission and implementation period currently ending June 30, 2021.
This posting is under local recruitment and only open to Vietnamese citizens. Foreigners with valid residence and working permit in Vietnam and without residence in Germany or another EU member state may also express interest. BGR is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications should include a cover letter, an updated CV and a selection of relevant references. Submissions are accepted via email only, addressed to Andreas.Renck@bgr.de with cc: to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application is: May 15, 2020 at 12:00 hrs (noon).