Hydrogeologist in the Mekong Delta
Published on 19 December 2017. Please apply until 31 January 2018.
The hydrogeologist will work as an employee of the German Federal Institute for Geosciences and Resources (BGR) in the project “Improvement of Groundwater Protection in Vietnam” (IGPVN). The project aims to support the development of national policies for groundwater protection and the improvement of groundwater management in the coastal areas of the Mekong Delta. Please visit us on www.igpvn.vn for more details on what we are doing.
The employee will represent the project team in the Mekong Delta and work in close cooperation with the National Center for Water Resources Planning and Investigation, the Division for Water Resources Planning and Investigation in the South (DWRPIS), and the Departments of Natural Resources and Environment (DONRE) of the provinces. Main responsibility are to collect and assess hydrogeological data and to support and carry out hydrogeological field work to improve the hydrogeological understanding of the pilot area. The acquired data will provide the basis for numerical modeling and the development of water management proposals.
The hydrogeologist will be part of an international team and will work in Ho Chi Min City, with regular visits to Hanoi and the Mekong Delta provinces (e.g. Sóc Trăng and Cà Mau). Working and reporting language is English. The position is offered for the duration of the project until end of December 2019. Intended start of the position is March 1st, 2018.
- Organization, preparation, supervision, and realization of hydrogeological investigations and surveys in close cooperation with DWRPIS, NAWAPI and DONRE. That includes water level measurements, the operation of data loggers, water sampling, supervision of drilling work and well installation, as well as the support in realizing and evaluating pumping and tracer tests.
- Evaluation of hydrogeological data, maps and reports.
- Implementation and application of numerical groundwater models.
- Write contributions for technical reports, publications, and public presentation of project results in English language.
- GIS-based data management.
- Master Degree or Engineer Degree in Hydrogeology, Geology, Hydrology, or another geoscientific/environmental study course with a focus on hydrogeology.
- Profound knowledge in hydrogeology and hydrology and basic knowledge on the regional hydrogeology and groundwater use in the Mekong Delta.
- Experience in planning and performing hydrogeological investigations and handling acquired data.
- First experience in handling numerical groundwater models.
- Basic knowledge of GIS, data management and processing.
- Proficient in English (speaking and writing) and fluent in Vietnamese.
- Experience in compiling technical reports and publications.
- Ability to work independently in an interdisciplinary team.
The IGPVN project offers competitive salary and benefits in accordance with the experience, qualifications and responsibilities of the employee.
Interested candidates are invited to send their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details, please contact Nguyen Thi Tham under Tel: 024.36740494 or email@example.com.